Featured Post

How To Deal With Gaza After Hamas

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

An appreciation of Jeff Rice, the creator of The Night Stalker, who used monsters as a metaphor for civic corruption



CLEVELAND, Ohio – Perhaps you're a fan of "The Walking Dead," "Supernatural," "American Horror Story," "Grimm" or "Penny Dreadful." Then, right now, you should pay attention.

Perhaps, in the 1990s, you were a fan of such TV shows as "The X-Files" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or the movie "Men in Black." You should pay attention, too.

A writer named Jeff Rice died in Las Vegas on July 1. He was 71. And, to borrow the line from Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman," "attention must be paid." 
Hollywood took what Jeff had created and cast him aside. So he died in obscurity, remembered only by a small but extremely ardent group of fans dedicated to something called "The Night Stalker."...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to watch that show all the time.
Never occurred to me that all the problems he had getting the story out was from the gumbermint.
How reading Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged changed my views of the gubberment that I was serving in at the time.
Then Rush Limbaugh came along and that really opened my mind to the way I was being treated by the congress and other libturds at the time. While being at their beck and call to give up my life for what ever whim they came up with at what ever time they come up with it.
After that it became a hard time with dealing with the Navy and my fears of being homeless if I quit the Navy. The last six years in the Navy was fraught with many angry seas.
Heltau

Richard K said...

I loved The Night Stalker, and Rice's problems with the studios in a weird way mirrored the motifs in the show. I didn't know any kid back then who didn't love it and watch it religiously. It was one of those adult shows parents could watch with kids and both would love, like Star Trek.

But ABC buried it in terrible time slots and the series only lasted one season.

And yeah, throughout history, what monster has been worse than government?