The government has already saved more than $600 million since it cracked down a year ago on countries believed responsible for thousands of bogus refugee claims, Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announced Wednesday.
Alexander said asylum claims from so-called “safe” countries have dropped by 87 per cent ever since the government created a list of nations deemed to be unlikely producers of refugees. Claims from Hungary, a country that previously produced the largest number of asylum claims, are down 97 per cent, while U.S. claims are down by 80 per cent.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Federal government trumpets drop in asylum claims, says new system is working
From The Montreal Gazette: